Share this Recipe on Facebook:
Print this recipe
| Roasted Garlic and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
1 whole garlic bulb
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 large onions, cut into wedges
6 cups Progresso ® Reduced-Sodium Chicken Broth, divided
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off bulb; brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
2. Place sweet potatoes and onions in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with remaining oil; toss to coat.
3. Bake garlic and vegetables at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
4. Place 1-1/2 cups broth, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper in a blender. Squeeze softened garlic into mixture; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan.
5. In batches, process the sweet potatoes, onions and remaining broth until smooth; add to garlic mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 109 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.