Soups & Stuff/Stews
Southern Boy Dishes
Share this Recipe on Facebook:
Print this recipe
| Classic Pork Stew
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
2 1/2 pound boneless pork roast (Use your favorite cut), cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 small leeks, white and green part thinly sliced
1 cup chopped shallots
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cup white wine
5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups chicken stock
1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried organo
1 teaspoon dried thyme
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, cut in half
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. In medium bowl, toss pork cubes in flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Place one half on the pork in an even layer in the dutch oven. Do not overcrowd. Brown for two to three minutes. Turn each piece and brown for two to three minutes. Transfer browned pork to a plate. Repeat with remaining pork, transferring to plate when browned.
3. Add leeks, shallots, and garlic to dutch oven and saute for two to three minutes until the leeks are wilted. Add wine and stir to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove browned bits.
4. Add carrots, potatoes, chicken stock, tomatoes, vinegar, bay leaves, basil, oregano, thyme, two teaspoons salt, and one teaspoon pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, mixing well. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
5. Add pork to the stew, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue simmering for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley.
Compliments of the Southern Boy Dishes website