Southern Boy Dishes
Share this Recipe on Facebook:
Print this recipe
| Greek Skillet Pizza
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
For the dough:
3/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
1 package of active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (plus 1 tsp to oil the bowl)
2 tbsp cornmeal
For the pizza:
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cups pitted kalamata olives (cut in half)
1/2 cup quartered artichoke hearts (frozen or canned)
3/4 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
8 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
1 cup roasted or chopped fresh roma tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp salt
Extra virgin olive oil
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Fresh oregano leaves (for garnish)
For the dough:
1. Whisk together water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl. Let sit for 4-5 minutes until a thin layer of foam appears on top of the liquid.
2. Put flour, salt, and cornmeal in the bowl of an electric mixer. Attach dough hook. Turn mixer on low to mix dry ingredients.
3. Turn off mixer and add yeast liquid and olive oil to dry ingredients. Turn mixer on low and mix until the dough comes together. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary. Turn mixer up to medium high speed and knead for 2 minutes.
4. Remove dough from mixer bowl. In another bowl, add 1 tsp olive oil and spread around bowl. Place dough in bowl and turn 2 or 3 times to cover dough with oil. This prevent a crust forming while the dough rises.
5. Cover bowl with a damp dish towel and place in a warm dry place. Let dough rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
6. Punch dough down and place covered bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
*If making dough by hand, mix ingredients in a bowl with a large spoon until blended. Place dough ball on a flat and floured surface. Knead the dough by pressing into the dough with the palm of your hand. Fold dough over and make a quarter turn and repeat. Continue kneading for 8 minutes.
For the pizza:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Roll dough out to a 12 inch diameter circle.
3. Place dough in a well seasoned 12 inch iron skillet.
4. Spread grated mozzarella cheese over the dough.
5. Spread onion, artichokes, chicken, olives, and feta over cheese.
6. Sprinkle dried oregano and salt over pizza. Add red pepper flakes to taste.
7. Top pizza with tomatoes and slices of fresh mozzarella. Drizzle with olive oil.
8. Turn a burner on the cook top to high. Place the skillet on the burner for 2 minutes. This starts the process of cooking the dough.
9. Place skillet in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is browning and the cheese is melted.
10. If you like the cheese to brown a bit, turn the oven mode to broil and cook for an addition 2 or 3 minutes. Watch very carefully if you take this step to not overbrown.
11. Garnish pizza with fresh oregano leaves.
12. Serve immediately.
Compliments of the Southern Boy Dishes website