Breakfast & Brunch
Southern Boy Dishes
Share this Recipe on Facebook:
Print this recipe
| Baked Eggs with Spinach and Mushrooms
Sometimes, breakfast for dinner hits the spot. We were late getting home last night and I wanted something for dinner that was quick and easy. I had all the ingredients for this recipe in the fridge and in less than 30 minutes dinner was ready. This nutritious dinner was just the ticket.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces cremini or shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh spinach
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet. Add onions and garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue sauteing for 3 minutes.
3. Add spinach a batch at a time, turning with tongs until the spinach is wilting. Continue this process until all spinach is wilted. Add half and half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. With the back of a spoon, make 4 wells in the spinach and open an egg into each well.
5. Place skillet in oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on your preference for doneness of eggs.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese on eggs and serve immediately.
Compliments of the Southern Boy Dishes website