Southern Boy Dishes
Share this Recipe on Facebook:
Print this recipe
| Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For the dough:
1 packet dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon for the bowl
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
1 tablespoon butter
3-4 pears, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 cup arugula leaves
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
For the dough:
1. Add yeast, honey, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to warm water and whisk to dissolve. Let stand until a thin layer of foam appears at the top of the water.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, whole wheat flour, and salt. Pour yeast mixture into the bowl and mix well with a large spoon.
3. Flour a clean, dry counter space. Form dough into a ball and knead for about 8 minutes. If using a mixer, put dry ingredients into the mixer bowl and add yeast mixture. Using the dough hook, mix at low speed until all ingredients are incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to medium high and knead for 6 minutes.
4. Coat the inside of a large bowl with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Roll dough ball around in the bowl to coat with oil. Cover with a damp dish towel and place in a warm, draft-free place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
5. Punch dough down and refrigerate in plastic wrap for 1 hour.
To assemble pizza:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add sliced pears to the butter and saute for 3 minutes, tossing regularly.
3. Roll dough into a 12 to 14 inch circle, depending on whether you like the crust thicker or thinner. Place dough on pizza pan or stone.
4. Spread grated mozzarella over dough. Place pear slices on top of cheese in an even pattern. Top with Gorgonzola crumbles. Drizzle pizza with olive oil and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browning.
5. Top pizza with arugula leaves and serve immediately.
Compliments of the Southern Boy Dishes website