Share this Recipe on Facebook:
Print this recipe
| Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti - Serves 4
8 oz. uncooked spaghetti
2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes, drained
2 1/2 Tbs olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
3 Tbs finely chopped fresh basil
2 large chicken breast halves
3 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup Panko-style breadcrumbs
1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (~1/4 cup)
1 tsp butter
2 oz. part-skim mozarella cheese, thinly sliced
torn basil leaves (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a food processor and process until almost smooth.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1 1/2 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pepper and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring occasionaly. Add tomatoes and 1/2 tsp salt; cook 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. stirring occasionally. Stir in chopped basil.
- Add 1 cup of sauce to the warm pasta and stir to coat. Keep warm.
- Split each chicken breast half horizontally to form 2 cutlets (4 total). Combine flour, garlic powder, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Sprinkle tops of the chicken with half of the flour mixture; pat evenly to coat. Turn over and sprinkle with remaining flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour. Place egg in a shallow dish. Combine panko and Parmigiano-Reggiano in another shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg; dredge in Panko mixture.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining Tbs. of oil and the butter to pan; swirl until butter melts. Add chicken and cook ~4min on each side or until browned and done. Place chicken on a baking sheet. Top evenly with mozzarella. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Arrange about 1 cup of pasta mixture on each plate; top each with 1 cutlet and spoon sauce attractively over the top. Sprinkle with torn basil, if desired.